Monday, May 20, 2013

The Great Gatsby

This is for all the critiques out their bashing the new Gatsby remake.  You are crazy.
         I mean of course it wasn't as good as the book, but never in my lifetime have I seen a movie that was better than the book, that just goes without saying.  Also, you have to take into consideration that The Great Gatsby is a hard book to make into a movie, its plot doesn't suggest a naturally entertaining screen play.
         So given what the director Baz Luhrmann had to work with, I think his motion picture was a major success.  First off the cinematography was stunning, i'm sure some old fashioned moviegoers would claim it was over the top but from a modern perspective, I think it perfectly captured the roaring twenties in all their brilliance and glam.  Each video shot was simply orgasmic, the movie made the early 1900's seem like the robust, colorful magical era it was rather then the dull black and white we are used to imagining it in.  Gorgeous.
        Also the soundtrack was fantastic, all modern music which surprisingly, fit perfectly with the roar of the twenties.  In many ways the 20's mirror modern times more than any other part of the 1900's.  You probably remember "No Church in the Wild" from the movies trailer, I was also excited to recognize "I Can't Stop", a dubstep song originally produced by Flux Pavilion, in one of the party scenes.
        As to the liberties they took with the plot I had no qualms.  Sure some of them were significant but they did what they had to do to transcribe the novel Gatsby into the movie Gatsby.  And most importantly, Luhrmann left the main message and all the subtle symbolism intact, even expressing certain meanings more clearly than I think the book could.
        So although parts of it were overdone, I believe the Gatsby plot was told as well as it can be and the time period was conveyed in epic proportions.  Fitzgerald would approve.        

Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment