Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Lone Ranger: Movie Review


Well, I can't say it's the best movie I've seen in the last week, but I think it was worth the seven bucks I paid  at the cheap theater.
     The actions scenes were exciting if a bit unreal, the campy humor was a cool relief from what would otherwise be an over the top action film.  There was lots of goofing off, as you would expect with a Johnny Depp movie.
      About him.  Now Johnny Depp is everybody's favorite actor.  He is hilarious.  As my sister once put it "I could watch Johnny Depp walk around an empty room for two hours and be entertained."  However, Tonto's character was not as fresh and original as i'd have hoped, he was basically Jack Sparrow dressed as an Indian.
        Also Depp's dramatic acting overplayed the lone ranger himself and instead of a mystique, batman-esque hero he seemed more like a blundering city boy on a white horse (swinging the movie solidly into the realm of action comedy).
       Overall the reason I think Gore Verbinski's Pirates of the Caribbean movies are more entertaining, is because on the most basic level, pirates are cooler than cowboys.    The vibe from Pirates is just wonderful, with the tropical jungles and grand ships and rowdy pirates.  The lone ranger, a dry dusty specimen by comparison, is not nearly as epic.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment